Saturday, October 27, 2012

Four Hooties


Eye-to-Eye with a Hootie

When Mother and I saw this pattern in a recent quilting magazine, we immediately decided to make it for Cousin Leslie's granddaughter Marley. Leslie is called 'Hootie' by members of her family, including Marley. This year Marley is attending the child care center where Leslie is director.





The pattern gave me further opportunity to practice my raw edge appliqué techniques. I used a 'blanket' stitch for this appliqué project.

The appliqué was easier than the on-point blocks and matching the points. These blocks are NOT perfect. I am not a fan of on-point blocks that have to match! The picture of the quilt really does not show how difficult it was to make and put together. This one was a lot of work, including blood, sweat and tears!

The fabrics are mainly from our stash. The red and green fabrics came from an Internet sale. The orange fabric used for the beaks, inner border and binding was purchased from a JoAnn's sale. The backing was also purchased from a JoAnn's sale. I wanted something that would be good for using the quilt on the floor at child care. Later I heard they are going to use it as a wall decoration. Well, maybe someday it will be drug around through the dirt. 'Hootie' Leslie, Mother Victoria and Marley like the quilt as reported by both Leslie and Great Grandmother Linda (my Aunt Linda).

I used several quilting patterns on this one. I used the flower pantograph that I made for the border of Red Rails for the green border on Hooties. I used a loopy back and forth design in orange border. Finally I used a meandering design in the main part if the quilt, except in the Hooties where I outlined their upper eyes and wings and gave them a little loopy design on their breasts.

Size: 46 1/2" x 46 1/2" Child Blanket Size
Quilting: Flower pantograph design using green variegated polyester thread (from Superior Threads) in the green border; loopy free-form design in the orange border using orange polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads); meandering free-form design in the main quilt (except through the Hooties which were basically outlined) using light-yellow polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads). Two light-yellow bobbins; one orange bobbin; two green variegated bobbins.
Backing: Green background, multi-colored dot cotton print
Batting: 80% Cotton, 20% Polyester (Warm and White)
Binding: Orange cotton print, also used for the inner border and Hootie beaks
Pattern: From the September/October 2012 McCall's Quilting magazine; a pattern called 'It's A Hootie' by Bea Lee

Piecing and Appliqué 2012 by Patty. Quilting on long arm quilter October 2012 (Patty) Binding by Patty. QC by Spencer.







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:County Line Quilts