Thursday, October 18, 2012

Black and White and Red All Over



This started off as another make ahead baby quilt, but it can also be a lap blanket for an adult. I added it to the donation box.

The pattern was adapted from another of my favorite quilting books little bits QUILTING BEE by Kathreen Ricketson. There are several quilts in this book that I want to make. She called her quilt that I adapted for this one, 'Dress Circle'. It has appliqué circles. I made one attempt at appliqué last year when Cousin Denise visited and provided excellent quilt instruction for me and Sally, but I've wanted to try again and perfect my technique. Circles look like an easy way to start; no righty righty or lefty lefty to worry about.





The fabrics are several black and white fat quarters that I bought for the project and red fat quarters that I've collected over the years. The white on white background was purchased at a JoAnn's sale. The black and white dot fabric used for the backing and binding was purchased from an Internet sale.

The name comes from the old joke, "What's black and white and red all over?" answers vary, but the classic is, "A newspaper."

Size: 50" x 50" Baby or Lap Blanket Size
Quilting: Meandering design using black and white variegated polyester thread (from Superior Threads). Free form quilting.
Backing: Black and white dot cotton print, also used for binding
Batting: 100% Cotton (Warm and Natural)
Binding: Black cotton white dotted print
Pattern: Adapted from little bits QUILTING BEE by Kathreen Ricketson'; a pattern called 'Dress Circle'
Piecing and Appliqué 2012 by Patty. Quilting on long arm quilter August 2012 (Patty) Binding by Patty. QC by Spencer.











About the time I was finishing this quilt, Kate Spade came out with a very similar handbag. Hannah who works in the handbag department at Nordstroms noticed this fact and sent me a picture of the handbag. Too funny!




My First Appliqué Attempt
This is a block I made for Carolyn's Cousin Quilt. It shows a young girl whose dream is to have a herd of horses. She is wearing pants worn out on one knee and red boots with one pant leg tucked in and one out. She is carrying a shredded wheat biscuit in her hand---people 'hay'. This is a bit like Carolyn in her girlhood.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:County Line Quilts