Monday, December 24, 2012

Piney Woodland Table Runner



I made this table runner to have for a just in case gift. The fabrics are several that I bought from a JoAnn's sale. The patchwork pattern is adapted from a magazine Quilting for Christmas Holiday 2012; the pattern is called "frosted forest" by Patti Carey, but I made it in the suggested green hues rather than the featured blue ones.

This one uses paper-pieced blocks and I was reminded once again how much I dislike paper-piecing. I haven't done any since the Cousin Quilt Project in 2011 and now I remember why. On this table runner, I gave up and made the 4 cornerstone blocks solid trees rather than paper-pieced ones because it was just too slow to get all the blocks done as the pattern showed. In addition, to fit the tree onto a 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper, I changed the main tree size. THAT was the easy part.

While piecing this one, I redesigned it in my head. I want to do another one with only one paper-pieced tree and the rest solid and call it "Happy Trees" after Bob Ross, because after all it's MY world and I can make the trees as I wish! I miss watching Bob Ross reruns on PBS. My parents and I used to watch him every afternoon when I was at their house quilting until KCSM changed the schedule. Now we watch PBS News Hour on KQED, not as entertaining as Bob Ross, but maybe more current.

I quilted it using my 'domestic' (sewing machine) by stitching in the ditch with 100% cotton machine thread from Mother's collection. I also stitched trees and triangles into the plain areas. This one had some pucker issues on the back. Next time I think I'll baste it on the long arm before quilting on the domestic.

I added this runner to the donation box.

Size: 23 1/2" x 70 1/4" Table Runner
Quilting: Stitch in the ditch, using dark green and tan cotton thread. Also quilted trees and triangles in some of the background and border pieces. Used my sewing machine with a walking foot (duel-feed).
Backing: Medium-green cotton print
Batting: 100% Cotton (Warm and White)
Binding: Medium-dark green cotton print
Pattern: "frosted forest" by Patti Carey in Quilting for Christmas Holiday 2012
Piecing by Patty. Quilting on domestic December 2012 (Patty) Binding by Patty. QC by Spencer.










The paper-pieced block I made for Julie's Cousin Quilt in 2011
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:County Line Quilts