Thursday, March 26, 2015

2015 Quiltathon--#5 Oranges and Lemons and Limes, Oh My!



This is the fifth and last of the neonatal quilts I made for the quiltathon. I cut out this one and the previous one and took them as "kits" to work on during the quilt-a-thon. The citrus colored fabrics came from a fat eighth roll that Ravinder and the girls gave me for Christmas. Each fat eighth made rectangles for 2 quilts. The other fabrics in the quilt, including the cute print I used on the back, came from my stash. Therefore, this quilt exceeds my 2015 goal of using my "inventory" before buying more fabric.  

The pattern was a simple one suggested by members of the guild and posted on the guild's web site. The differences between this quilt and the previous one are the placement of the colored fabrics, the batting used, and the quilting style. Before I quilted this one I saw a loopy quilting pattern on the Internet. Some of the loops made hearts. I thought this would be a cute pattern for a baby quilt, so I tried it out. It was easy and I liked the look. 

Quilts #4 and #5 were delivered to the March quilt guild meeting.

Size: 32" x 32" Neo-natal Size (guideline is between 30" and 45")
Quilting: Quilted in a loopy meandering design where some of the loops were hearts. Used bright yellow polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Mellow Yellow"). Free form quilting. 3 bobbins. 
Backing: A really cute nursery print that I got on a Joann's Red Tag table.
Batting: 100% cotton.
Binding:  Bright green print from my stash. 
Pattern: Suggested by quilt guild and found on their web site.
Piecing by Patty.
Pinned into frame February 4, 2015. Quilting on long arm quilter February 4, 2015. (Patty). 
Binding by Patty. 
QC by Spencer.