Tuesday, March 24, 2015

2015 Quiltathon--#1 Sock Monkey Fun


The Quilt Guild decided to hold a quilt-a-thon to raise some money and make neonatal quilts for the Lucille Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. I contributed quilts and attended the event, though I didn't raise much money. The quilt-a-thon was a lot of fun.  I enjoyed sewing and chatting with the women who were there at the same time I was. I recognized most of my quilting aunts in the crowd--the women who worked hard and brought humor to the event.  Their stories were golden. I hope they hold a similar event next year. 

I made 3 neonatal quilts for the event and started 2 more while I was there. The first was a simple block quilt to use up the leftover squares from the Socky Quilt I made last year. This quilt counts towards my 2015 goal of using my "inventory" before buying more fabric.

Size: 32" x 41" Neo-natal Size (guideline is between 30" and 45")
Quilting: Quilted in a loose meandering stipple design. Used brown polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Milk Chocolate"). Free form quilting. 2 bobbins. 
Backing: Brown print used for Socky in 2014. The print looks like the knitted brown socks used to make Sock Monkeys.
Batting: 100% bamboo.
Binding:  The same brown print used for the backing.
Pattern: Traditional square blocks sewed together in rows. The blocks came from a Missouri Star Charm pack that I used for the Socky quilt last year. A few blocks were cut from the brown print fabric.
Piecing by Patty.
Pinned into frame January 16, 2015. Quilting on long arm quilter January 16, 2015. (Patty). 
Binding by Patty. 
QC by Spencer.