Friday, November 20, 2015

Fractals


Cousin Katelyn belongs to a science competition team and has interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) things, amongst her other interests and talents, including art, music, sports, crafts, and performing. You might as well keep all your options open! I decided to make her a STEM quilt using my Quilt Lab book by Alexandra Winston. I selected the quilt "Fractal" from the book because it was one of the prettiest in the book. I added top and bottom borders to the quilt to make it twin bed size (instead of square), using a mathematics print I found from fabric.com. The side panels of the back also came from fabric.com, but the center came from a mathematics themed print I found at my LQS, The Laurel Leaf. The quilt store is going out of business so the fabric was 30% off. I will miss the store terribly, but I appreciate the discount. The colors are arranged based on how much of each fabric color I had in my inventory and not due to any planned color arrangement. I tried to demonstrate the 4-color map theorem with the placement of the prints for each color. However, some of the blocks got twisted between the design wall and the sewing machine, so the theorem isn't demonstrated.

  

Size: 60" x 80" Twin-bed size
Quilting: Quilted in concentric nested arcs, free form quilting. Used gold polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Goldenrod"). Free form quilting. Made 8 bobbins, used 6 bobbins. Quilting by Patty.
Backing: Gray print from fabric.com on the sides and black print with primary colored figures in the center from a Laurel Leaf sale. 
Batting: 100% bamboo
Binding:  The green mathematics print used in the borders.
Pattern: "Fractal" from Quilt Lab by Alexandra Winston
Piecing by Patty.
Pinned into frame November 11, 2015.  Quilting on long arm quilter November 13-20, 2015. (Patty). 
Binding by Patty. 
QC by Spencer.


 

 


The STEM quilt goes to college! Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana, August 2020

Location:County Line Quilts