Sunday, November 15, 2015

Calculating Centripetal Force in the Half-Pipe



I wanted to make quilts for cousins Eric and Katelyn who currently reside in Hawaii. Cousin Eric has become a skateboard enthusiast (and so has Katelyn, but she started later), so when I saw the Missouri Star Quilt Company video for a skate board quilt, I decided that was the one for Eric. However, Mother objected to the proportions of the "decks" made from pre-cut layer cakes in the video. I asked Frances about sizes when she was visiting in July. Her grandson Korbin built his own skateboard in shop class. She said most decks are 8" x 30". So, I made my blocks 4" x 15" to keep the right proportions. I used several batik fat quarters to add a touch of Hawaii, some Stars and Stripes pieces and camouflage fabric to add the patriotic touch since Eric's father is stationed in Hawaii for the army, a piece of Pokemon fabric, because Eric quilted Pokemon designs when he visited and was learning how to long arm, a Minnesota Viking fabric because that is Eric's team, and finally some boy like pieces from my inventory. The border and backing was a find on fabric.com. It has a science/engineering focus, hence the name of the quilt, "Calculating Centripetal Force in the Half-Pipe." I had to google "Skateboard Terminology" and images to get mentally prepared for this quilt. I learned about the apparatuses that skateboarders use for their tricks, including the half- and quarter-pipes,the boards are called "decks", the wheel assemblies are called "trucks", the designs on the "decks" are usually on the bottom and not the top as in my quilt, and when you lose paint or wood on your deck during a run that's called "shredding it."I used bamboo batting since they live in Hawaii and don't need warmth. I read that bamboo has the best heat "transmission" of the batting types.

Size: 64" x 82" Twin-bed size
Quilting: Quilted in a meandering loose stipple in the background and borders with wavy patterns in the skateboard decks. Used gray polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Dark Gray"). Free form quilting. 8 bobbins. Quilting by Patty.
Backing: Gray print from fabric.com. The print has pi symbols, sine waves, binary code, and other assorted geeky things. The same print was used for the borders.
Batting: 100% bamboo
Binding:  Dark gray print from my stash. 
Pattern: Adapted from a Missouri Star Quilt Company video. 
Piecing by Patty.
Pinned into frame October 30, 2015.  The tracks, wheels, and axles of the longarm were cleaned and/or oiled. A lot of "stuff" was removed. Quilting on long arm quilter November 6, 2015. (Patty). Quilting went very well. The cleaning must have helped.
Binding by Patty. 
QC by Spencer.






Location:County Line Quilts