Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Get Your T-Shirts While You Can


This is a "gather ye rosebuds while you may" type of quilt. The shirts for this are from many years ago when I actually did things like AIDS Walks, Bay-to-Breakers, etc. Before my knees gave out!

I used iron-on interfacing behind the shirts and each shirt was "framed" with a contrasting or matching print woven fabric. The quilting was a loose meander or I tried various patterns from the internet class I took. In some cases I quilted around the design on the t-shirt. 

This one was fun to make. And it's a rare example of a quilt I will keep. Spencer will use it on the couch and in the car.

Size: 61" x 72" Throw size
Quilting: Quilted in a meandering loose stipple, tried different quilting patterns from the Internet class in some of the blocks, and quilted around the designs in other blocks. Used white polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Bright White"). Free form quilting. 5 bobbins. Quilting by Patty.
Backing: Red and White print from a JoAnn's sale. 
Batting: 100% Polyester. 
Binding:  Tan print from my stash. I used a different technique for this binding. I sewed it on the front, basted it on the back, and then did the second stitching on the front (catching the back) using a straight stitch with a zig (no zag). This technique worked really well. I will try it again.


Pattern: T-shirt blocks with frames.  
Piecing by Patty.
Pinned into frame June 26, 2015. Quilting on long arm quilter June 29 -July 1, 2015. (Patty). 
Binding by Patty. 
QC by Spencer.



Location:County Line Quilts