Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Brown Bear--Fully Interlocking

This quilt is named in part for the way it was quilted--fully interlocking puzzle pieces.
Planning the quilt and in an intermediate stage

Last year, when I saw this panel and fabric on sale on the fabric.com web site I had to buy it.  Brown Bear, Brown Bear by  Eric Carle was one of Hannah's favorite books when she was a little girl.  I gave it to Ravinder's girls when they were small and they loved it, too. I picked this project as the next most challenging as I gear up after my long absence from quilting whilst I hand quilted the Many Steps quilt.

This is the first quilt I've made whose name reflects the way it was quilted. Ann asked for this quilt for her church's auction in the fall; she promises to bundle it together with the book.  

Size: 47" x 56" Crib Size
Quilting: Quilted horizontally to look like bumps and indents on child-sized jigsaw puzzle pieces.  Remounted the quilt 90 deg and quilted horizontally again in the same manner.  I had to figure how big to make the pieces so it would work out correctly for the quilt dimensions (Turned out to be 5"). I quilted a wavy line around all the edges to look like the cardboard frame that a lot of children's puzzles use. Used brown polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Milk Chocolate"). Free form quilting. 3 bobbins. 
Backing: Brown Bear print from a fabric.com sale. Also used some of the striped matching fabric from the same sale.
Batting: 50/50 Cotton/Poly (Warm Blend)
Binding:  Brown cotton tonal print from my stash to match the "Brown Bear" theme.
Pattern: Inspired by "sew-easy" Baby Quilt in the book fresh from the clothesline by Darlene Zimmerman. Because I had the coordinating striped fabric I did not need to make a piano keys border; I used the striped fabric instead. The blocks used a Brown Bear panel for their centers.  Panel came from the same fabric.com sale. Borders of the blocks were bright colored fabrics from my stash.
Piecing by Patty.
Pinned into frame June 25, 2014. Quilting on long arm quilter June 25-27, 2014. (Patty). 
Binding by Patty. 
QC by Spencer.

Orange dog, orange dog, what do you see?
I see a quilt for my QC!