Friday, January 29, 2021

Always Sunshine and Silver Linings (Baby Quilt for Grace; New Technique Piano Keys Border)


Cousin Kristi’s granddaughter Grace was born October 8, 2020. I thought the baby needed a quilt, the utility kind that you can put on the ground for the baby to roll around upon.



The name for this quilt came from the two fabric lines used to make it, “My Sunshine” is the 10” bright print layer cake used for the star and piano keys and “Silver Linings” is the off-white fat-quarter prints used for the background. I thought the names put together made a good wish for Baby Grace. From my stash, I added bright yellow and green prints for the solid borders and a bright pink print for the binding. 

I used a Bloc-Loc 9 1/2” Square Template to trim the blocks to the correct size. The Bloc-Loc templates (various sizes) are some of the best quilting tool purchases I’ve ever made. They really helped step up my half-square triangle game. The templates have a groove down the diagonal center that just fits the quarter-inch seam and hold the block exactly right during trimming. 

I made a “piano keys” border for the top and bottom to make the quilt a better crib size and less square. The borders were easy to make if a bit oddly proportioned. I knew the pieces would look like fat, short keys, but this size worked best for the overall proportion of the quilt. This was my first attempt at a piano-keys border (new technique).
  • 44 1/2" x 52 3/4" Crib size
  • Quilting: Quilted in a loose meander with occasional loop-de-loops.  Besides the signature rabbit, I also quilted “Grace”, the baby’s name. Used butter-colored 100% polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Butter").  Free form quilting. 6 bobbins. Quilting by Patty.
  • Backing: Pink flower print on a blue background from a Connecting Threads sale.
  • Batting: 80% cotton/20% polyester. “Comfort Blend” from WinLine. Piece was left from a previous project.
  • Binding: Bright pink cotton print from my stash.
  • Pattern: "Morning Star Baby Quilt” by Amy Smart from the internet.  
  • Piecing by Patty
  • Pinned into frame January 29, 2021. Quilting on long arm quilter January 29- February 5, 2021. (Patty). 
  • Binding by Patty. 
  • QC by Spencer