Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Tomiko’s T-Shirt Quilt


2020 has been a very different year for graduates, including my niece Tomiko. She graduates from high school this May, but there is not a traditional graduation ceremony, prom, or party during this year of social distancing. It’s as difficult for the families as the graduates! 

Monika gave me these t-shirts to make a graduation quilt for Tomiko sometime after my first eye surgery last year and before my second one. So, this quilt has been a long time in coming. Finally, it came together.  The hardest part was fitting shirts of different sizes collected over 18 years together. I chose black sashing to fit the shirts together and make their colors pop. I needed one more shirt, so I made an airplane block, like the baby quilt I made Tomiko over 18 years ago. Time flies like an an arrow; fruit flies like melon. Sigh!


Tomiko on the first quilt I made her, hand quilted!


The airplane block for the graduation quilt


The quilt I helped Tomiko make when she was in middle school


Quilting on the long arm with Tomiko. She is a natural longarmer! I wish I was as good!
  • 60" x 85" Twin bed size
  • Quilting: Quilted in a meandering very loose wave in the sashing and around the designs on the t-shirt blocks. Used gold 100% polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Goldenrod").  I selected gold because her school colors are green and gold. Free form quilting. 7 bobbins. Quilting by Patty.
  • Backing: Light gray flannel print wide back from my inventory. Bought from a fabric.com sale.
  • Batting: 100% polyester. Knowledgeable quilters recommend polyester for t-shirt quilts. Also recommended by Frances who pointed out that t-shirt quilts tend to be heavy so a lighter weight batting is better. 
  • Binding: A green and gold print in Patty’s inventory, again to accent Tomiko’s high school colors.
  • Pattern: T-shirts fit together with black sashing.  
  • Piecing by Patty.
  • Pinned into frame May 5, 2020. Quilting on long arm quilter May 6, 2020. (Patty). 
  • Binding by Patty. 
  • QC by Spencer

Going to Michigan Tech in the fall. Hopefully, there will be school in the fall.



The rabbit runs from the hawk.


The hawk catches the unsuspecting rabbit.