Thursday, May 14, 2020

T-Shirt Quilt for Mother Made from Daddy’s T-Shirts


I started this quilt last year. Before my eye problems I got the blocks cut out. Between eye surgeries I got the interfacing (featherweight) ironed on the blocks. Then I didn’t get back to it until I finished piecing Tomiko’s quilt. Finally it came together.

The Tom Short Reunion t-shirts have functioning pockets. For some ill planned reason, the T.A. Edison submarine shirt throwing torpedoes and shooting a missile, wound up next to the Peace Corps shirt. Not all of the shirts were Daddy’s. To round out the quilt I used a few shirts from my collection, but my shirts were ones he had a connection to or gave me as a souvenir from his travels. 
  • 58 1/2" x 71" Lap size
  • Quilting: Quilted around the designs on the t-shirt blocks. Used light turquoise 100% polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Lt. Turquoise"). Free form quilting. 6 bobbins. Quilting by Patty.
  • Backing: Light green flannel print wide back from my inventory. Bought from a fabric.com sale.
  • Batting: 100% polyester. Knowledgeable quilters recommend polyester for t-shirt quilts. Also recommended by Frances who pointed out that t-shirt quilts tend to be heavy so a lighter weight batting is better. 
  • Binding: Turquoise print from fabric.com
  • Pattern: T-shirts fit together 
  • Piecing by Patty.
  • Pinned into frame May 13, 2020. Quilting on long arm quilter May 13-14, 2020. (Patty). 
  • Binding by Patty. 
  • QC by Spencer