Sunday, July 14, 2013

Gold Is Where You Find It (aka Missing Piece)


This is the mother of all UFO's (un finished objects). I started the blocks 30+ years ago when I was a lowly chemist at Syntex. The design is my own, a basic 9-patch with a 'missing' triangle randomly placed in each block, hence the name 'Missing Piece'. Because I used a gold colored fabric for the missing piece, the title soon morphed into 'Gold Is Where You Find It'. I used the latter name for the quilt for donation purposes, but in my heart it will always be the 'Missing Piece'. The fabrics were from Mother's stash 30+ years ago. We even recognize fabrics that mother sewed whilst we were living in Superior! Every five or so years I'd get these blocks out and arrange them. It always look so ugly to me, I'd put the blocks away again. At some point I arranged and numbered their placement; that's the arrangement I finally used. About 2 years ago I bought neutral-colored material for sashing and a gold print for the back. Then a few weeks ago, I decided to bite the bullet and finish the quilt. Much to my surprise the quilt looked okay, even good. I think the neutral sashing brightens it up and makes it look, well, almost pretty. When I measured the sashed quilt, I decided it was too big for a single bed and a bit small for a double bed, so I added the brown print border (fabric from my stash) to make it double bed sized. I used a plain dark brown cotton for the binding, also from my stash.
I always look at quilts for "opportunities for improvement" next time. This quilt shows how far I've come in 30 years. It makes a good benchmark for me.
The quilt will be given to a woman who lost everything in a recent apartment fire in Redwood City. Mother found out about her through her friend at church.
Size: 75" x 86" Double-Bed Size
Quilting: Meandering design (loose stipple) using light tan polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Light Tan"). Free form quilting. 6 bobbins.
Backing: Gold-colored cotton print
Batting: 50% Polyester/50% Cotton (Warm Blend)
Binding: Dark brown plain cotton
Pattern: My own design; traditional 9-patch with a twist
Piecing by Patty 30+ years ago. Pinned into frame July 8, 2013. Quilting on long arm quilter July 8-10, 2013 (Patty). Binding by Patty. QC by Spencer.


On the Table to be Measured Before Quilting


Juliana's Jumpsuit Fabric


My 4-H Convertible Collar Blouse


Auntie Bernice's Dress


Tata's Blouse


My Favorite Block




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:County Line Quilts