Saturday, October 31, 2020

Aunt Linda’s Antique Quilt


Aunt Linda saw an antique quilt in a shoe store and decided to make her own version. So, she took a few pictures, went home, drafted a pattern, and visited her fabric stash. Her version is stunning.


The Original

To quilt it in a similar fashion to the one Aunt Linda saw in the shoe store window, I used a walking foot on my domestic machine, Janome HD-3000. The original was quilted in closely spaced, concentric arcs. I used a sewing guide on the foot, what I call an “outrigger” or “side car”, to measure the spacing between the arcs. The first arc was drawn using the round plastic thing that is meant to hold a thread spool on the spindle with an air-disappearing ink pen. 

To make the quilt sandwich I used spray basting. I love that product. Progress through chemistry!

After quilting there were hundreds of thread ends to bury. In the parlance of quilters, the quilt was “very hairy”. It took me longer to bury the thread ends than to do the quilting. 

Because I can’t add a rabbit outline (my signature) when I use a domestic machine to quilt, I embroidered a rabbit outline for a quilt label. I left space around the rabbit for Aunt Linda to add what she may want on a label. I showed my first attempt to my friend Gladys who is a proficient embroiderer, as well as sewing educator. She was not impressed, gave me a quick lesson, and said to start again! My second attempt turned out a little better. Gladys suggests that I need a few more lessons, so we will meet outdoors in the park for socially distanced embroidery lessons.
  • 40 1/2" x 52 1/2" Crib size
  • Quilting: Quilted  in concentric arcs using my domestic machine. Used white 100% cotton thread (mercerized cotton for machine quilting from Coats). Quilting by Patty.
  • Backing: Pieced green print, very pretty!
  • Batting: 80% Cotton/ 20% Polyester “Comfort Blend” from Winline
  • Binding: To be done by Aunt Linda.
  • Pattern: Inspired by quilt Aunt Linda saw in shoe store window.
  • Piecing by Aunt Linda
  • Quilting on domestic October 21-25, 2020. Thread ends buried October 25- November 4 (Patty). 
  • Binding by Aunt Linda. 
  • QC by Patty





Before and After Photos Below




Learning about the Buttons on Gigi’s Sewing Machine. 
Quilt in the foreground getting bound. Aunt Linda selected a white on white print for the binding.