Sunday, October 21, 2018

Blue Line—Flannel Quilt

 
This quilt was made from scraps left from backs of quilts. Most of the quilts were the ones I made for Narinder’s neices and nephew (see Dorm Series, November, 2016), plus one made for Cynthia (see A Breed Apart, July, 2017) and one made for Nancy (Nancy’s Quilt, March, 2018). There were 8 different backs to use. Most of the flannel strips were trimmed from the edges after the quilts were quilted. All, but one, of the scraps, were neutral or dark in color. So, I used the one bright aqua one as a feature down the center of the quilt. The result is a handsome and humorous quilt top, I think. Mother thinks it’s hideous, but she’s blind. Whatever you think about the quilt’s “look”, it will be cozy and warm for someone in a homeless shelter. I wanted to name the quilt “Blue Streak,” but the urban dictionary gives a nasty definition for that phrase, so I decided on the more acceptable “Blue Line”.  This quilt was donated to victums of the Camp Fire that destroyed the town of Paradise, CA. The donation was handled by the Quilt Guild.
  • Size: 60 1/2" x 96” Twin bed size
  • Quilting: Quilted in an overall vertical wavy line. I saw a picture on the internet of a strip quilt quilted this way. It’s a modern quilt look. However, it was very boring to quilt after the first 2 lines. I will never ever do this again! I’ve had my “modern” moment.  Free form quilting. Used blue variegated 100% polyester thread (Omni-V #9006 from Superior Threads-named "Laguna") for the blue line (1 bobbin) and  6 bobbins of light gray Omni 100% polyester (“Silver”). On the top used gold Omni 100% polyester  (“Goldenrod”). Top thread color chosen to match the binding color. Quilting by Patty. 
  • Backing: Gray tonal flannel print backing from a Fabric.com sale.
  • Batting: 80/20 cotton/polyester. Winline “Comfort Blend”.
  • Piecing by Patty. 
  • Pinned into frame October 24, 2018. Quilting on long arm October 26, 2018. (Patty). 
  • Binding by Patty. Used a solid gold cotton fabric from my stash for the binding.
  • QC by Spencer. This quilt is good colors for him. I should make him one.