Tuesday, September 6, 2016

I Spy With My Little Eye . . . (For CJ)


This quilt is similar to the "I Spy with my Eye" quilt that I made for Madeline this year. This one was made for Cousin Tricia's son CJ (Cameron John). See the first "I Spy" quilt for details about the pattern. The jars were made slightly longer to better accommodate some of the larger prints and I added one more column since CJ is no longer a baby. He will be 2 this year. CJ and I share a birthday, October 6. CJ comes from a "mixed" union; his mother is a Packer fan and his dad is a Viking fan. So, I added a "jar" for each them. CJ spends time on his grandpa's farm, so I added some cow, barn, and tractor prints. Also his grandma went to Hawaii this year, and brought him back an Aloha shirt, so I added a "jar" with a scrap left from the Aloha shirt Mother made Keith. The signature rabbit was quilted in a "jar" containing carrots. CJ seems to like his quilt. There have been several pictures of him playing on it posted in Facebook. I am so glad that it is being used and used as a play blanket on the floor. That was exactly what I hoped would happen as I made it. 

Size: 50" x 62" Child or Play Blanket size
Quilting: Quilted in a meandering loose stipple with loose spirals. Used brown polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Milk Chocolate"). Free form quilting. 7 bobbins. Quilting by Patty.
Backing: Chocolate brown and yellow print from a JoAnn's sale. 
Batting: 50-50 cotton and polyester.
Binding:  Dark chocolate fabric from my stash. 
Pattern: Jars from a Missouri Star Quilting Company video.  
Piecing by Patty.
Pinned into frame July 11, 2016. Quilting on long arm quilter July 11, 2016. (Patty). 
Binding by Patty. 
QC by Spencer.


Rabbit in the Carrot Jar

Posing on the Blanket

CJ and His Uncle Jake Playing with the Quilt. 
Notice how the toys are arranged on the jars.