Saturday, November 29, 2014

Patches



Narinder's friends collected embroidered patches on their travels over several years. They asked me to put them on a quilt for them. I designed a block to feature the patches. It was not easy to arrange patches ranging from a classy one from to Paris to one that proclaimed, "I had a ball at the Testicle Festival!" I used a white snowball block with black corners and appliqued the patches to the centers. The blocks were sashed with a black and gray tonal fabric with black cornerstones. This is the first quilt I took to show and tell at the Quilt Guild. It was well received. The friends liked it and gave me a gift certificate to a restaurant in Menlo Park. 
The black fabrics I used came from the Laurel Leaf in San Carlos. The fabrics washed well and bled very little. The plain white was from my stash.

Size: 59" x 74" Lap Blanket Size
Quilting: Quilted in a swirly meandering design. Used gray polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Silver"). Free form quilting. 11 bobbins. 
Backing: Black and white stripe from The Laurel Leaf.
Batting: 100% bamboo
Binding:  Black and gray tonal cotton used for sashing.
Pattern: Traditional snowball block used to feature the patches. 
Piecing by Patty.
Pinned into frame September 3, 2014. Quilting on long arm quilter September 3-8, 2014. (Patty). 
Binding by Patty. 
QC by Spencer.