Friday, May 16, 2014

Blue "Beary"




Selfie-aka 2 Long Arms






After a long lay-off whilst I hand quilted the Many Steps quilt, the quilting flood gates finally opened. Since it had been a while since I used the long arm and since I'd never used it in its new location in the garage, I felt I should make a small practice quilt first, hence Blue "Beary". It is a whole cloth quilt made from flannel. It quilted like a dream.  I suspect the long arm likes the basement! It probably figures it's a power tool and belongs with the big equipment and NOT the delicate sewing machines upstairs. I'm enjoying being back in the long arm business. I also used this quilt to make my first attempt at feathers.  Boy, do I have a long way to go with those.  However, I believe in "practice, practice, practice" (like my 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Messier used to yell at our class- which made a big impression with me!) and with practice I shall improve! 




Practice Feathers



After moving the long arm to the basement, Sally decided the rails that stick out from the machine were dangerous and Mother might get hurt on them, so she installed the red sock safety feature. To me it looks ever so much like the long arm has landed on the Wicked Witch.  But so far no one has run into the rails!




Safety Feature



Size: 42" x 54" Crib Size

Quilting: Meandering, free-form design, including practice feathers, using light turquoise polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Light Turquoise"). 5 bobbins.

Backing: Plain turquoise flannel from our stash

Batting: 100% Cotton (Warm And White)

Binding: Same blue flannel that was used on the back.

Pattern: Whole cloth using blue bear print flannel from our stash.

Pinned into frame April 18, 2014. Quilting on long arm quilter April 18-21, 2014. (Patty). Binding by Patty. QC by Spencer.






Location:County Line Quilts