Thursday, April 18, 2013

Garden Gate


QC Guy Obscuring Brown Bird
This is fourth quilt in the set for Aunt Janet's great-granddaughters, but the third one to be pieced and quilted. It's for the expected baby girl due in May.
I found the pattern on line from a web site called "Cluck, Cluck, Sew". I changed the appliquéd flowers and added the brown bird. Daddy insults me by calling the brown bird a buzzard; I think it's a brown towhee. The pieced blocks went together very smoothly. The pattern instructions are excellent.
I quilted fluffy clouds and wispy lines to represent breezes (think Mother West Wind and the Merry Breezes, Sally's favorite book series when she was a little girl) using the long arm. I also quilted around the bird and flowers and the signature rabbit using the long arm. I basted the entire quilt on the long arm. Then I quilted the fence a la "in the ditch" using my domestic. It's much easier for me to quilt straight lines on the domestic. Basting on the long arm worked very well. I will use this "trick" for my next hand quilting project.
Size: 47" x 51" Crib Size
Quilting: On the long arm--Clouds and a loose loopy pattern in the sky using light blue polyester thread (Omni from Superior Threads-named "Harbor Sky"). Quilted around the appliquéd bird and flowers. Quilted a signature rabbit. Basted the rest of the quilt. 2 bobbins. On the domestic sewing machine--Quilted fence by stitching in ditch using 100% cotton machine quilting thread, white in color. Used dual feed foot (walking foot). 2 bobbins.
Backing: Plain blue flannel, triple brushed, very soft. Used a new flannel blanket.
Batting: 50% Polyester/50% Cotton (Warm Blend)
Binding: Blue cotton print from Mother's stash
Pattern: "Daisy Gate" by Allison R. Harris from Cluck, Cluck, Sew. Bird appliqué from free Internet pattern. Flower appliqués made using Accu-Cut Go dies.
Appliqué / Piecing by Patty. Pinned into frame April 12, 2013. Quilting on long arm quilter April 15, 2013 (Patty). Quilting on domestic machine April 16 (Patty). Binding by Patty. QC by Spencer.







View of clouds and merry little breezes



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:County Line Quilts